Group discussions (GD) and personal interviews (PI) play a prominent role in the selection process whether one is looking for admissions in a B-school or wishes to get through a college placement. Companies or employers conduct GD to test the student’s knowledge of the topic and also whether they are able to present their views wisely in a logical manner while taking others into consideration and accepting their point of views. Interviews, on the other hand, are more of a personal interaction wherein employers try to assess a candidate on various factors including skills, experience and interests. Here are some tips which can help students prepare for the College GD and PI rounds.
Tips for Group Discussion
- One should not talk continuously and aimlessly during a GD. They should remember that moderators will judge them based on the valid points they put across.
- In order to get some clarity, students can write down their thoughts during the initial time they get before a GD begins.
- To enhance one’s skills, students should not just talk, but try to observe how others share their views, practice in informal sessions and participate. If they can control and lead the discussion without being rude and aggressive, that would mean that they are a good team player and an effective leader.
- Students should stay updatedon current affairs and brush up their general knowledge regularly. They should read a lot of newspapers and magazines to keep themselves abreast with the abstract topics too.
- Being calm and composed is the key to success in a GD. So, one should not be rude and arrogant and give others a chance to put their points across during the discussion.
- Stating facts and statistics will earn the students the brownie points as they can thus stand out from their peers with that extra bit of information.
- Students should always be truthful and modest of their skills and experiences. If they don’t know anything, it is better to be honest about it. Also, one should know their resume inside out so that they can answer anything when asked.
- One should do their homework on the company and be prepared with examples and case studies. They should make sure that they are aware of the company’s SWOT analysis and brand concepts.
- Students must be able to properly understand the basics of their academics and they must make sure to revise the important concepts related to their field.
- Dressing appropriately is one of the most cardinal things one should consider before an interview. So, one should try to keep a confident body language but without being overconfident.
- While appearing for campus interviews, students must remember that the interviewer is going to be more experienced than them; so they should try to highlight those points that can impress the interviewer and thus better their chances of securing the job. Here, one could bring up topics where they can showcase their skills effectively.
- An interview does make a person anxious and nervous but the key to a successful interview is to stay calm and smiling. One should remember that it is just like any other conversation, but only a formal one.
While one’s academic score and work experience hold great significance, the final selection majorly depends on how the student performs in the screening process which includes GD and PI. While trying to secure a job or get through a B-school, these are some of the effective tips and suggestions that will help one prepare for the College GD and PI rounds.